Saturday, October 16, 2010

24 hour tour prototype!

so im a fan of 24 hour bike tours and with one coming up i thought, givin the route my prefered bike will be the fixed gear. since the frame is not equipped with any rack lugs im limited to a messenger bag, WRONG!

i actually planned to use a messenger bag and i figured id try and get as much gear ON my bike to mellow out the bags weight on my back. i ended up getting carried away and mounting pretty much all of my gear on my bike.

since ive been dreaming of custom frame bags from epic designs for this bike i figured why not spin it around all week and see how the excess weight feels .

now remember, nothing is set in stone im really just brainstorming. i went through many other ideas tonight before i ended up here.

i must say i am very excited to give it a spin to work in the morning :)

 small down blanket ive been using instead of a sleeping bag in a waterproof sack on top. the body of my 2 person tent is below.

 im currently on the search for a small (doesnt have to be waterproof) sack for it to keep it tightly wrapped. both are held onto the handle bar with toe straps.
 now this is the saddle bag i use for mountain biking and i figured with the plan of carrying as little gear on my back as possible it only made sense to swap out the micro sized saddle bag i had on at the time or this one.

what it currently has inside is fairly exciting

-6 tubes, yes 6!
-4 tire levers (wire bead gators on cr-18's can be a real bitch)
-rav x agent x micro tool
-2 park patch kits
-6 extra chain links
-room for my wallet and keys

all that without even opening up the expandable compartment. i hooked up a folding bead gatorskin to
the bag just in case. it mounted very nicely with the strap.
 so in order to fold up my tent i removed the stakes and rolled up the body leaving no where for the stakes.

at first i thought i would just put them in my messenger bag. after some time had passed it clicked!

so here they are with one thick velcro strap on the middle and two pieces of shoe string on each side.
 before i always used a single bottle but im pretty sure ill be needing two this time. i mounted my pedros trixie tool underneith the first cage and under the second my lezyne pump.
 hope you all enjoy this. happy trails!

2 comments: